Wednesday, May 20, 2009

M I N D / M A T T E R ( ? )

A simple story based in philosophical antiquity from the 5th Century BC -

Assume two characters, 'A' and 'B', are having an arguement and A is in debt to B by, lets say, 5 dollars.

B comes to A and says:
"give me my 5 dollars back."

A replies
"What 5 dollars ? Let me ask you a question . . .
If we had a pile of pebbles with three pebbles and we took one away would we have the same pile or different ?"

B : "Well, different."

A : "Right, and if we added a pebble would we have the same pile or different ?"

B : "Well, different. "

A : "Aha! You see a human being is like a pile of pebbles, there's matter flowing in and out and each time the quantity changes we have a new and different person. Therefore it was not I who borrowed the money but someone else altogether so you can't possibly ask me to pay you the 5 dollars that the other being owes you . . . "

At which point B, frustrated, punches A in the face -

A: "Why did you do that?"

B: "Who, me ?"

The joke within the story is irrelevant, however the inherent arguement is valid - is it the mind or the matter that, well, matters ?

No comments:

Post a Comment